The Department of Geography of the LMU is a globally recognized institution with innovative approaches in sustainability science. There, the newly established chair for physical geography and nexus research assesses the complex interactions between water security, food production, energy security and nature at the global and macro-regional level. Our group develops knowledge and tools to understand, monitor, and simulate the behaviour, features and evolution of the nexus as a complex system. In this framework, we have designed an area devoted to food security.
We are looking for you:
Post-doctoral researcher in the field of global food security (m/f/x)
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Quantify the current and future food demand;
- Quantify and map the current and future food production potentials;
- Identify current and future drivers of change and their quantitative importance for food demand and production,
including demographic, economic, societal and biophysical changes;
- Assess trends in productivity of food systems according to different technologies and management options;
- Quantitatively analyse the consequences of anthropogenic degradation of food systems
(including climate change impacts on food production);
- Study the resilience and stability of food systems;
- Third-party funding acquisition;
- Writing scientific publications;
- Teaching and student mentoring.
- PhD degree in Agricultural Sciences, Agronomy, Agricultural Management, Land Use, Geography, or similar;
- Strong background in quantitative assessment of food production systems;
- Experience or the ability to quickly acquire a good level in scientific programming
(e.g. C, Python, FORTRAN) for modelling purposes;
- Prior experience in interdisciplinary work is a plus.
- The ability to work independently and on your own initiative;
- Structured and goal-oriented thinking;
- Capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics;
- Creativity and openness to new approaches;
- A high level of competence in oral and written English;
- Reliability and a high level of motivation;
- Willingness to travel for work (project meetings, workshops etc.);
- Capacity for teamwork;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Organisational talent and management skills;
- Capacity for networking and building a productive scientific network.
- We would apply together to appropriate funding programmes (for example Humboldt scholarship, Marie Skłodowska-Curie-Stipendium, Walter Benjamin-Programm) for a postdoctoral scholarship (duration one to three years). After that, and depending on a positive evaluation and the fulfilment of offcial requirements, there is the possibility to extend your time with an A13 position in which you can habilitate (German qualification as university lecturer). If you are an experienced post-doc, we can instead apply together for the Emmy Noether Program (group leader);
- Support in relocating to Munich through the LMU Gateway service;
- A stimulating working environment in a dynamic, ambitious and innovative team;
- Working in an interdisciplinary milieu, focusing on questions relevant for society, economics and politics;
- Living in one of the most prosperous cities in Germany, Munich,
with beautiful landscapes nearby and numerous cultural, sport and leisure events.
We seek to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Also possible in a part-time capacity.
People with disabilities who are equally as qualified as other applicants will receive preferential treatment.
Please send your full application per email with the subject “Nexus Food Application”, in one pdf file, before October 15th 2022 to:
Prof. Dr. Marianela Fader
Department für Geographie
Luisenstraße 37, D-80333 München, Deutschland
For further information or to discuss the position please contact Prof. Dr. Marianela Fader by phone: +49 89 2180 – 6674 or email: M.Fader@lmu.de
Where knowledge is everything.
LMU researchers work at the highest level on the great questions affecting people, society, culture, the environment and technology — supported by experts in administration, IT and tech. Become part of LMU Munich!