The Department of Geography of the LMU is a globally recognized institution with innovative approaches in sustainability science. There, the newly established chair for physical geography and nexus research assesses the complex interactions between water security, food production, energy security and nature at the global and macro-regional level. Our group develops knowledge and tools to understand, monitor, and simulate the behaviour, features and evolution of the nexus as a complex system. In this framework, we have designed an area devoted to water use and availability.
We are looking for you:
Researcher in the field of global water resources research (Habilitationsstelle) (m/f/x)
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Quantify the current and future water demand
- Quantify and map the current and future water availability
- Identify current and future drivers of change and their quantitative importance for water demand and availability, including demographic, economic, societal and biophysical changes.
- Assess trends in water use efficiency according to different technologies (for example irrigation systems) and management options
- Quantitatively analyse the consequences of anthropogenic water depletion and degradation of water systems (including climate change impacts on water resources)
- Study the resilience and stability of hydrological systems
- Connect hydrological systems with the other areas of the nexus (ecosystems, food, energy)
- Third-party funding acquisition
- Writing scientific publications
- Teaching and student mentoring (5 SWS)
- PhD degree in Hydrology, Water Science, geography, environmental sciences, civil engineer (focus on water), or similar
- Strong background in quantitative assessment of water resources
- Experience or the ability to quickly acquire a good level in scientific programming for large-scale modelling (e.g. C, Python, FORTRAN) for modelling purposes.
- Prior experience in interdisciplinary work is a plus
- Experience in teaching at higher education level and mentoring students is a plus
- The ability to work independently and on your own initiative
- Structured and goal-oriented thinking
- Capacity to familiarise yourself quickly with new topics
- Creativity and openness to new approaches
- A high level of competence in oral and written English
- Reliability and a high level of motivation
- Willingness to travel for work (project meetings, workshops etc.)
- Capacity for teamwork
- Excellent communication skills
- Organisational talent and management skills
- Capacity for networking and building a productive scientific network
- Knowledge of the German language is a plus
- It is a qualification position for a total of 6 years, with a possibility to do a habilitation (qualification as university lecturer). A full-time A13 position for 3 years and its prolongation for 3 more years in case of positive evaluation and fulfilment of official requirements.
- Personal development through the LMU qualification program.
- Support in relocating to Munich through the LMU Gateway service.
- Support for child care (for example emergency care, holiday programme).
- A stimulating working environment in a new, dynamic, ambitious and innovative team.
- Working in an interdisciplinary milieu, focusing on questions relevant for society, economics and politics.
- Living in one of the most prosperous cities in Germany, Munich, with beautiful landscapes nearby and numerous cultural, sport and leisure events.
- Workplace health promotion.
- Theater and culture: special events, discounts and vouchers.
- Mobility: job tickets and discounted membership with Share Now (car sharing).
We seek to increase the share of women in scientific positions and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Also possible in a part-time capacity.
People with disabilities who are equally as qualified as other applicants will receive preferential treatment.
Please fill in the application template under
Before February 15th 2023
For questions regarding the application please contact Prof. Dr. Marianela Fader
by phone: +49 89 2180 – 6674
Where knowledge is everything.
LMU researchers work at the highest level on the great questions affecting people, society, culture, the environment and technology — supported by experts in administration, IT and tech. Become part of LMU Munich!